Get Ha-uge par Ben Bergeron
August and September
This programmed is based on the principals of WestSide Barbell and the methods they have used to produce the world's strongest athletes.
The months of August and September should be viewed as the "off-season" for the competitive CrossFit athlete. And similar to athletes in other sports the off-season should be primarily focused on getting stronger. Check out the "Programming Philosophy" on this site to see how I structure the entire year of training.
Some basic guidelines for this phase of training.
- Take the rest days. You are going to grow when you are NOT in the gym.
- Continue to do mobility.
- If you are a beast (dudes over 205# and chicks over 145#) you should do a 2-3 mile easy run on Tuesdays.
- If you are a smaller athlete (dudes under 165# and chicks under 120#) you can add an additional superset of bicep/tricep work on Repetition Saturday. Something like 3 rounds of: 12 barbell curls (yep, is said curls) and 12 band push downs.
- Eat lots! Yes, this is going to be individualized and if you are a beast already it's not going to be as important. We are going to get BIG and STRONG over the next two months so it's ok to have the sweet potato fries and ketchup with dinner.
- Accept that your metcon is not going to improve over the next two months. Don't worry it will come back. Remember, we are looking to develop a bigger can.
Max Effort Lower Body
- MAX-EFFORT LIFT – work up to a max set of 1-5 reps in a squat or pull variation (off pins, box, off blocks, with chains or bands, safety bar, axle, etc...)
- ASSISTANT MOVEMENT – 3 sets of 6-12 reps (Front Squats, Bulgarian Split Squats, Step ups, Reverse Lunges, Backwards Sled)
- POSTERIOR CHAIN DEVELOPMENT – 3 sets of 8-12 reps (Reverse Hypers, Hip Extension, Glute Ham Raises, Romanian Dead Lifts, Good Mornings, Forward Sled Drags)
- COUPLET or TRIPLET - 3-4 rounds of 1-3 midline, monostructural or lower body movements
CrossFit Metcon 1-2 wods that don't interfere with Max Effort Monday or Wednesday
Max Effort Upper Body 1. MAX-EFFORT LIFT – work up to a max set of 1-5 reps in variation of a Bench or Overhead Press (Banded, Chains, Dumbbells, Close Grip, Axle, etc...) 2. ASSISTANT MOVEMENT– 2 sets reaching failure at 15-20 reps. 3 minutes rest between sets. (Flat or Incline DB Bench Press, Floor Presses, Push up variations, Tricep variations) 3. PULLING SUPERSET - 3 or 4 rounds of 6-12 reps of a row variation paired with an external rotation movement (High Hang Muscle Snatch, Reverse Flyes, Band Pull-aparts, Face Pulls, etc...) 4. SHRUGS - 3 or 4 sets of 8-15 reps of a shrug variation (Snatch Grip Shrugs, Shrugs of Blocks, Dumbbell Shrugs, etc...) 5. UPPER BODY COUPLET or TRIPLET 3 or 4 rounds of upper-body pull paired with and upper-body push. Monostructural can also be worked in to turn this into a triplet
- CLEAN AND JERK and SNATCH Week 1: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 6x2 OTM at 60% Week 2: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 6x2 OTM at 65% Week 3: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 9x1 OTM at 70% Week 4: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 9x1 OTM at 75% Week 5: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 8x1 OTM at 80% Week 6: Establish new 1 RM Snatch and Clean and Jerk Week 7: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 6x2 OTM at 70% Week 8: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 9x1 OTM at 75% Week 9: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 9x1 OTM at 80% Week 10: Clean and Jerk and Snatch, 8x1 OTM at 85%
- EXPLOSIVE - 5 to 8 sets of 1-3 reps of a dynamic box squats or a jump variation (Box Jumps, Broad, Lateral, Box Squat into Jumps, Weighted Jumps, etc...)
- UNILATERAL LOWER BODY 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps of a single leg movement (Bulgarian Split Squats, Reverse Lunge, Step ups, Backwards Sled Drag, etc...)
- HIP EXTENSION - 3 sets of 8-12 reps of a hip extension movement (Dead Lift, Reverse Hypers, Glute Ham Raises, Good Mornings, Forward Sled Drags, etc...)
- MIDLINE and MONOSTRUCTURAL COUPLET - 4 rounds of a midline movement (Toe to Bar, GHD Sit ups, Weighted Abmat Sit ups, Landmines, etc...) combined with running, rowing or jump rope. The Hip Extension movement (#4) and the couplet (#5) could be further combined into a metcon.
Repetition 1. REPETITION PUSH - 3 sets to failure of a horizontal push variation (60% of 1 RM Bench, Dumbbell bench, Incline, Floor Presses, Push up variations, Dips, etc...) 2. REPETITION PULL UP - 3 sets to failure of a Pull up or Muscle up Variation The Repetition Push (#1) and Repetition Pull (#2) can be combined into a superset or metcon. 3. OVERHEAD PRESS - 4 sets of 8-12 reps of a pressing variation 4. EXTERNAL ROTATION MOVEMENT - 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps (High Hang Muscle Snatch, Reverse Flyes, Band Pull-aparts, Face pulls, etc...) 5. SHRUGS - 3 or 4 sets of 8-15 reps of a shrug variation (Snatch Grip Shrugs, Shrugs of Blocks, Dumbbell Shrugs, etc...)